Sony Interactive Entertainment has recently revealed the official name for accessibility controller Project Leonardo, Access controller.
Previously codenamed Project Leonardo, the Access Controller is a new peripheral that will help players with disabilities to play games more easily and comfortably. It is a highly customizable controller kit with a wide array of swappable button and stick caps. It offers players the ability to freely create different layouts that work for their unique strength, range of motion, and physical needs.
The kit includes the following:
- Analog stick caps (standard, dome and ball stick cap)
- Button caps in different shapes and sizes, including:
- Pillow button caps
- Flat button caps
- Wide flat button cap (which covers two button sockets)
- Overhang button caps (which benefit players with smaller hands as they are positioned closer to the center)
- Curve button caps (which can be pushed if placed along the top or pulled if placed along the bottom of the controller)
- Swappable button cap tags for players to easily mark which inputs they map to each button
The Access controller can be used on flat surfaces, orient it 360 degrees, or secure it to an AMPS mount or tripod. It can also adjust the distance of the analog stick from the controller.
The controller will include four 3.5 mm AUX ports, which will let players add their own specialty switches, buttons or analog sticks. It will have a full customization UI on the PS5 hardware, enabling button mapping and control profiles.
Players can pair up to two Access controllers and one DualSense controller together that will act like a single virtual controller. This will allow them to mix devices or play single-player games with others operating certain functions.
A toggle mode will also be included that let players permanently keep a button pressed down by pressing like a Caps Lock button.
No release date yet for the Access controller, but a new page is already set up for players to register for updates on pre-order information when it is available.