The actor behind Cal Kestis, the protagonist of the two Star Wars Jedi games, has now confirmed that Star Wars Jedi 3 is in the works.
Way back in 2019, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order was released by Respawn Entertainment and it got critical and commercial acclaim. It had more than 20 million players and over 10 million copies sold. Star Wars Jedi Survivor also had quite the praise when it launched in April 2023, but it had some criticism on its PC version with issues and crashes unfortunately.
While the second title did not have the same full praise on all platforms, it seems its success in the market has now confirmed a new entry to the series. There will be a third Star Wars Jedi game and it is currently in development.
Speaking during the Star Wars Jedi Game Series Panel at Ocala Comic Con 2023 on September 16, 2023, Cal Kestis actor Cameron Monaghan officially confirmed this when he was asked about his future projects. He revealed this new unannounced entry the team is working on right now.
“We’re working on the third,” Monaghan said. “We’re in the process of doing it right now. That’s a big undertaking and there have been some conversations so far. Hopefully when all things are said and done we’ll be able to go in and make something really cool for you guys again.”
This was previously teased by ex-series’ director Stig Asmussen to IGN in an interview before leaving Respawn about how he viewed Star Wars Jedi. He described it as a trilogy.
“I always wanted to see this as a trilogy,” he answered. “How can we take Cal and the crew to new places beyond what we were doing in the first game? We had a pretty decent idea of timeframe where we wanted Survivor to take place, what the stakes were going to be, what the tone of the game was going to be, what Cal was going to be up against, and how the crew was going to factor into that. And there’s ideas of what we could do beyond that as well.”