Research Assistant is one of the pursuits that can be done in Dredge. In this pursuit, the Research Assistant needs some help completing her research in the Stellar Basin after it got interrupted by whatever gigantic creature is lurking in the deep.
Read ahead as we go through the steps on how to complete the Research Assistant pursuit in Dredge.
We recommend that before going for this pursuit, it is best to upgrade your boat to at least the second hull tier and get a better motor and fishing gear. Most of the steps are contained within Stellar Basin, but there will be equipment given later on in the quest that will take up quite a lot of boat slots.
Step 1: Go to the Research Assistant
The Research Assistant can be found in the island at D5. Talk to her and she will ask for your help to gather some specimens for her which can all be found within the Stellar Basin.
Try to avoid going over the huge hole in the middle of the basin until you find a way to deter the huge creature, or else it will attack you and sink your boat.
Step 2: Catch the specimens
You will then have to catch three kinds of fishes within the Stellar Basin. They can all be caught at nighttime, so make sure that you have installed a good lamp so that you can last through the night.
- Aurora Jellyfish – They can be caught using a Coastal Trawl.
- Firefly Squid – They can be caught using a Coastal Rod or Trawl. Look for blue lights in the water with small silhouettes.
- Glowing Octopus – They can be caught using a Shallow Rod or Pot. Look for blue lights in the water with big silhouettes.
Once you have all the required specimens, head back to the Research Assistant for the next task.
Step 3: Get the Prototype Parts from the Research Outpost
Your next task is to go over to the Research Outpost at G4. From this outpost, you can look through its different sections to find the Prototype Parts that the Research Assistant needs, as well as a Research Part for your upgrades. Go back to the Research Assistant and hand over the Prototype Parts to her, and she will give you a Sampling Device.
You will need to install the Sampling Device on a 1×3 rod slot in your ship as it will be needed later on.
Step 4: Install the Repulsion Machine
The Research Assistant will then ask for another batch of specimens to catch, but these can only be caught in the middle of the basin where the creature is. To help with this, she will also give you a 2×2 Repulsion Machine that can repel the creature in the middle of the basin.
Take the machine over to the Generator beside the Research Outpost and install it. You can then activate the machine and it will send a repulsing wave that will make the creature retreat. This wave will only last until midnight, but you can reactivate whenever you need to.
Step 5: Catch the specimens
This time, you will need to capture four specimens, but before that, you will need to do some upgrading to be able to catch them. Research the Bottomless Lines equipment for 1 Research Part, purchase it and then install it on your boat. If you have upgraded your boat with enough rod spaces, you can install it along with the Sampling device from earlier on the left side of the grid.
- Giant Amphipod – They can be caught using a Hadal Rod during the day or night. They can be found within the central basin.
- Snailfish – They can be caught using a Hadal Rod during the day or night. They can be found within the central basin.
- Anglerfish – They can be caught using an Abyssal Rod during the day or night. They can be found within the channel that leads to the central basin.
- Loosejaw – They can be caught using an Abyssal Rod during the day or night. They can be found outside the island perimeter of Stellar Basin. Look for red lights in deep water.
Take the time to check the dredging spots in the basin as one of them will have the relic needed to get the Banish ability from The Collector.
Once you have all the specimens, go back to the Research Assistant and place all of the specimens in their slots to complete the pursuit. You will then be rewarded with the A Plan For The Future book which gives a 15% chance to not reduce fish stocks when catching a fish with a rod.
Check out this video by Z1 Gaming showing the first part of how to complete the Research Assistant pursuit in Dredge: