Rigs are tools that players can use during programs in The Outlast Trials. There are different rigs that have special uses that mostly serve the purpose of keeping the user safe. Knowing how to get rigs and use them effectively will definitely increase the success rate of a trial or a challenge. Read ahead as we talk more about the rigs, how to unlock them, and what are the best rigs to use in The Outlast Trials.
How to unlock Rigs in The Outlast Trials
To unlock Rigs in The Outlast Trials, players must first complete The Outlast Trials Program 1 Police Station: Kill the Snitch quest, earning XP to reach Therapy Level 2. Once Therapy Level 2 is achieved, players can visit Cornelius Noakes, known as The Engineer, at the Bingo Fuel Garage located within the Murkoff Facility.
At the Bingo Fuel Garage, players can purchase Rigs using the tickets earned each time their Therapy Level increases. All available Rigs can be obtained from Cornelius and added to the player’s loadout for future trials. Additionally, players have the option to enhance their Rigs by upgrading them with specific modules, improving different aspects of their performance. Cornelius handles these module upgrades as well.
How to use Rigs in The Outlast Trials
Rigs can be used any time during a trial provided that the player has it available. Using rigs will depend on the type of rig which, at this point of the game, would either be through self-use (Heal and X-Ray), throwing (Stun), or by deploying (Blind).
You can easily switch Rigs during trials by using the central terminal at the Murkoff Facility. Just go to the ‘Loadout’ option and you’ll find a list of your unlocked Rigs and their current recharge status. Only one rig can be brought by a player into a trial and they can swap it out with other unlocked rigs at the central terminal in the facility in between trials.
Rigs count as semi-consumables which have to be charged up once used. To use them again quickly, players must look for rig recharges that are usually found within cabinets or lockboxes. Using rig recharges will charge the rigs again and make them ready to be reused.
Currently, there are four types of rigs available in The Outlast Trials, and listed below are the best rigs In The Outlast Trials, ranked:
- Heal Rig: Healing Gas
- X-Ray Rig: X-Ray Vision
- Stun Rig: Stun Device
- Blind Rig: Blind Smoke
Heal Rig: Healing Gas
The Heal Rig, also known as Med. N_Oxide or Healing Gas, is a usable rig that heals a portion of the user’s health. It can be popped when the user is in an emergency and in dire need of healing. It can also be used to heal nearby allies.
The Healing Gas can get these upgrade modules:
- Expanded Radius – Expands the healing range.
- Silent Help – Using Heal will not make any noise.
- Extended Duration – Increases the regeneration duration.
- Detox – Using Heal can also cure Psychosis.
- Poison – Enemies caught in the healing range will be slowed down.
- Decreased Cooldown – Heal usage cools down faster.
- Prepared – Makes the Heal rig become readily available at the start of a trial.
The Heal Rig is the best Rig in The Outlast Trials for several reasons. It emits a healing gas that replenishes your health and heals nearby teammates, making it crucial for teamplay. By unlocking upgrades, you can expand its radius, cure Psychosis, and slow down enemies. Its versatility and effectiveness make it the top choice for survival.
X-Ray Rig: X-Ray Vision
The X-Ray Rig, also known as Human_Spec or X-Ray Vision, is a useable rig that allows users to see enemies through solid objects. Highly usable for recon to check if it’s safe to get in a room, even in dark areas.
The X-Ray Vision can get these upgrade modules:
- Shared Intel – Allies can see enemies tagged through X-Ray.
- Resources Intel – Consumable items can be seen through the X-Ray.
- Classified Intel – Documents and posters can be seen through the X-Ray.
- Extended Duration – Increases the duration.
- Battery Transfer – Using the X-Ray recharges the night-vision goggles.
- Decreased Cooldown – X-Ray usage cools down faster.
- Prepared – Makes the X-Ray rig become readily available at the start of a trial.
The X-Ray Rig is the second best Rig in The Outlast Trials because it allows you to scan through walls and detect enemy skeletons. It helps you navigate dark areas, find resources, and conserve battery power. Upgrades like Resources Intel and Classified Intel highlight items, while Battery Transfer charges your night vision goggles. It provides a valuable advantage for survival.
Stun Rig: Stun Device
The Stun Rig, also known as the A_MP or Stun Device, is a throwable rig that causes the target to get stunned with electric shocks for a few seconds. It is a very useful in-the-moment rig whenever players find themselves trapped by enemies with no escape other than running past them.
The Stun Device can get these upgrade modules:
- Expanded Radius – Expands the explosion radius.
- Disarm – All traps, door traps, and enemy mines are destroyed by the explosion.
- Extended Duration – Extends the stun duration on enemies.
- Restore – Resets the cooldown if the stun throw misses.
- Electric Boost – Recharge allies’ batteries and stamina that are near the explosion.
- Decreased Cooldown – Stun usage cools down faster.
- Prepared – Makes the Stun rig become readily available at the start of a trial.
The Stun Rig is ranked as the third best Rig in The Outlast Trials because it has an impressive ability to immediately disable enemies in a specific area. When you use it by either deploying or throwing it, the Stun Rig delivers a powerful shock that stops nearby enemies in their tracks. This gives you important moments to react and stay safe. Although the stun effect doesn’t last long, it can make a big difference in crucial moments, helping you gain an advantage against your pursuers.
Blind Rig: Blind Smoke
The Blind Rig, also known as Chem_Blinder or Blind Smoke, is a deployable rig that can be placed on the ground and triggered when an enemy is within its proximity. It is best used on halls or doorways where enemies are sure to pass by.
The Blind Smoke can get these upgrade modules:
- Expanded Radius – Expands the explosion radius.
- Deploy Technique – Shortens mine planting time.
- Extended Duration – Extends blind duration on enemies.
- Recharge – Instantly reactivates a mine after getting triggered once.
- Frenzy – Smoke provides an adrenaline boost when passed through.
- Decreased Cooldown – Blind usage cools down faster.
- Prepared – Makes the Blind rig become readily available at the start of a trial.
The Blind Rig is the fourth and least preferred Rig in The Outlast Trials. It functions as a deployable landmine that creates a cloud of blinding smoke. The downside is that it requires careful enemy movement prediction to be effective. While activated, it impairs enemies’ vision, giving you a chance to slip past them or create distractions.