The Crimson Shadow is the first side mission in Bayonetta 3 that follows Jeanne as she infiltrates the homunculus-overrun facility to rescue Dr. Sigurd, the scientist who will be able to help them. The gameplay pace changes into a stealth side-scrolling mission where players have to sneak past enemies or eliminate them stealthily to get through the facility.
In this guide, we will go through Side Mission 1: The Crimson Shadow, listing along any collectibles as well as Bewitchments that can be acquired in the chapter.
See previous Bayonetta 3 Walkthrough Chapter 3: A Sinking Feeling
Side mission basics
You’ll play as Jeanne as you go through the facility, using her unique skills to sneak through or eliminate enemies. Though you have access to your weapons, unless you’re using the shotgun, it’s easier to to clear out the enemies using stealth kills.
Enemies will have a vision cone showing you the extent of their vision. You can do stealth kills when you’re behind them, or you’re hiding behind a door or a vent. There are also turret enemies that latch on to the ceiling; they can be easily passed through and there’s no point to kill them.
Every time you do a stealth kill, you’ll be put in Witch Time, giving you the opportunity to chain kills. You can also make multiple kills if the enemy you throw lands on another enemy.
Going through the vents or diving underwater will automatically transform Jeanne to her Lynx or Centipede mode, respectively.
Side Mission 1 The Crimson Shadow Bewitchments
There are five bewitchments to obtain in this side mission:
- Avoid taking damage while moving through the water – While in centipede mode underwater, try not to hit any obstacle along the way. This includes the whirlpools and circular saws.
- Find the hidden waterway – While underwater, head to the left most corner of the pool while avoiding the whirlpools. You’ll find a hidden pipe that goes around and also leads to the Echoes of Memory #2.
- Perform 3 successful stealth kills – As the bewitchment implies, just do three stealth kills; they do not have to be consecutive.
- Find and defeat Affinity – Touch the poster near the end of the level, right wing corridor that is next to the Fries collectible to summon Affinity. Then, you can use your attacks, or just one shot with a shotgun to defeat it.
- Defeat 5 homunculi while transformed into Cutie J – Find the Cutie J costume by heading to the lift on the right side, getting off at C2, disabling the lasers, and then going into the door on the left. Then, defeat at least 5 homunculi to get tis bewitchment.
There are a couple collectibles that can be found in the facility.
Echoes of Memory #1
Underwater, head to the left side of the pool where the Echoes of Memory is slightly above water.
Echoes of Memory #2
Underwater, head to the left most corner of the pool while avoiding the whirlpools. You’ll find a hidden pipe that goes around and leads to the Echoes of Memory #2.
Figure Box #1
After getting access to the underwater section, climb back up through the elevator, exit by the laser level, then enter the vents to avoid the lasers.
Figure Box #2
After getting access to the underwater section, climb back up through the elevator to the very top, disable the lasers on the right, then go down the elevator to the right to go to the level where the figure box is.
There are special collectibles that can be found in this level that add bonuses to the final level score.
- Burger – At the starting elevator, go down to C2 and head left.
- Soda – After getting access to the underwater section, climb back up through the elevator, and alight by the level to the left that is lines by glass windows.
- Toilet Paper – At the ground floor, left most side of the map.
- Fries – At the right side of the map, a level below the moving lasers and the exit.
See next Bayonetta 3 Walkthrough Chapter 4 - Worlds Apart
If you like this guide, be sure to check out our other Bayonetta 3 articles:
- Bayonetta 3 Chapter List – How Many Chapters
- Bayonetta 3 Ending Explained
- Bayonetta 3 Singularity (Explained)
- All Outfits in Bayonetta 3
- Bayonetta 3 Weapons and Abilities
- Bayonetta 3 Day One Update Patch Notes Revealed
- How Long to Beat Bayonetta 3 – Game Length
Check out this video by Tealgamemaster showing how to go through Side Mission 1: